A fish plant and word on repeat

Comfrey, a great companion

I rarely remember full dreams but sometimes wake up with striking fragments, like an oval and silver fish, brilliantly shining, hung on a stem like a pendulous flower and last night a word that might have been compensation, but not in the legal sense, and in fact, turning over this word, it had something of compassion in its meaning. So while I was dreaming, I knew exactly what word it was, but awake, trying to recall it, I realise I was making it up to fill the space between compensation and compassion, to join them together. In my dream, it seemed this word came up several times, a word that represented beauty and justice, like the silver fish, both of them illusory but I am sure the word I am looking for exists somewhere, in one of the world's millions of languages and silver fish hang from stems, but underwater, on the seaweed I've been gathering after storms, to feed the allotment. I wonder, too, if these two striking fragments have anything to do with the research I've been doing on companion planting as I prepare for sowing and spring?

Comments