A four day week and the garden of England

In 1986, after a morally challenging weekend at work when I was briefed to ask a pop star's wife if she'd had an abortion or a miscarriage, I handed in my notice. I had no job to go to. I also decided I'd never work a five day week again. I was 31, I worked hard and wasn't paid extra for my productivity. 

My decision was emotional and unnegotiable. And after seven or more years I wanted to control my own time. I've been self-employed, with bouts of part-time PAYE work, ever since. That's 35 years now. 

I had to turn off the radio this morning when one of the old-style productivity is all 'management consultants' went off on one about how Unilever's experiment of a four day week was all a terrible idea and there was no proof it would benefit companies at all. 

Leave the room, old men, if you can't cope with people living differently. Your kind of old style thinking is what's turned Kent, the garden of England, into a lorry park and open-air toilet. It's enabled property speculation and endless crime disguised as progress. Time for scepticism about your ability to tell us what to do. Time to think.

Comments